Mycotoxins are unhealthy and dangerous toxins that can be produced by certain types of molds.
There have been more than 200 mycotoxins indentified from common molds. While some mycotoxins and their affects on humans are well known, for many mycotoxins, little information is available. You can be exposed to a mycotoxin via inhalation, ingestion or skin exposure. Various symptoms attributed to inhalation of mycotoxins have been reported including: mucous membrane irritation, skin rash, nausea, immune system suppression, acute or chronic liver damage, acute or chronic central nervous system damage, endocrine effects, and cancer. (Environmental Protection Agency)
Molds that have been known to produce mycotoxins under certain circumstances include:
- Stachybotrys chartarum
The only way to know if these types of mold are present in your home or office is to perform mold testing. If you have suspicion of a mold issue in your home or office, contact us to schedule a mold inspection and testing.